To view the number of users that are currently connected to the BSD, and also have the option to log them out to free up some user connections, you can perform the following:
- telnet to the AlertServer by running: telnet localhost 40000
- Hit option 'u' to view the total number of users connected to the BSD.
- To view the user details, hit option 'l' (lower case L).
- To log a user out, hit option 'o' and then enter the username, or ALL to log out all users. You will then have to supply the IP address of the user (available from the user details list in step 3) and a message to the user.
- The user will now be logged out.
Once some of the users have been logged out, you should then be able to log back into the BSD.